B.Sc., M.A., Ph.D. (Toronto)
- Former Principal of St. Michael’s College (2011-2016)
- Chair of the Department of Italian Studies (and Emilio Goggio Chair) (2002-2011)
- Assoc. with the Graduate Centre for Study of Drama, the Centre for Medieval Studies, the Centre for Comparative Literature.
- Medieval studies, theatre history, dramaturgy, 17th- and 18th-century studies, literary theory.
- Authored books: Semiotics and Pragmatics of Stage Improvisation (2016),Dante Studies in the Age of Vico (988).
- Co-authored book: The Baroque Libretto (2011).
- Edited books: Dante and the Christian Imagination (2015), Galileo: Bringing Astronomy to the World. (2015), The Performance Text(1999); Goldoni and the Musical Theatre (1995), Writing and the Growth of Culture in the Mediterranean (1991), The Science of Buffoonery: Theory and History of the Commedia dell’Arte (1988).
- Co-edited books: Twentieth-Century Italian Playwrights (2016), McLuhan: Social Media Between Faith and Culture (2015), Modernism and Modernity in the Mediterranean World (2006), Theatre and the Visual Arts (2001), Pirandello and Modern Theatre (1992), The Enlightenment in a Western Mediterranean Context (1984.
- Articles and book chapters on Dante studies, medieval drama, Gian Giorgio Alione, Renaissance comedy, Della Valle, Galileo, Campanella, Julius Schiller, Gravina, Vico, Michele Barbi, Giuseppe Bottai, Ernesto Grassi, Vittorini, Dario Fo, Frye, McLuhan, theatre history, Italian Canadiana, Humanism, Futurism.
- Completed theses supervised on Dante, Iacopone, Antonia Pulci, Flaminio Scala, Sarpi, Gravina, Giannone, Pirandello, Futurism, Giorgio Strehler, autobiography, literary historiography, the commedia dell’arte, theory of drama, dramaturgy, radio drama, poetics of theatrical dance, theories of directing, opera production, Augustin Daly, Robert Wilson, censorship, acquisition of Italian as a second language.