M.A., Ph.D. (Toronto)
- Former Principal of St. Michael’s College (2011-2016)
- Chair of the Department of Italian Studies (and Emilio Goggio Chair) (2002-2011)
- Assoc. with the Graduate Centre for Study of Drama, the Centre for Medieval Studies, the Centre for Comparative Literature, and the Centre for International Studies.
- Theatre history, dramaturgy, medieval studies, 17th- and 18th-century studies, literary theory.
- au. Dante Studies in the Age of Vico (Dovehouse, 1988);
- ed. The Performance Text (1999); Goldoni and the Musical Theatre (1995); Writing and the growth of Culture in the Mediterranean (1991), The Science of Buffoonery: Theory and History of the Commedia dell’Arte (1988);
- co-ed. The Enlightenment in a Western Mediterranean Context (1984); Pirandello and Modern Theatre (1992);
- articles on Dante, Vico, literary theory, theatre history, literature and science;
- completed theses supervised on Gravina, Giannone, Vico, autobiography, women in commedia dell’arte, performance conventions in the commedia tradition, poetics of theatrical dance, Renaissance and baroque theories of directing, theories of theatre architecture, censorship, dramatic theory, production history of early operas.